Sharjah Shake - Kerala's Favourite Milkshake

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

It's Summer .. Well almost. Bangalore has been quite hot since a week & my evening Chai has been replaced by chilled Milkshakes or Smoothies. I have been trying different recipes of Milkshakes & I came across this very  Milkshake recipe famous all over Kerala. Sharjah Shake it is :)


SHARJAH SHAKE 

So, what is Sharjah Shake? Doesn't the name sound interesting? I was intrigued too when I heard it for the first time, It is a creamy  Milkshake made with frozen milk, Banana, nuts & a dash of Chocolate flavoured malt. It is Kerala's way of making Banana Milkshake

I read somewhere that Sharjah Shake was created by Kalanthan Koya, who ran a small juice bar in Calicut & it was first served to a few customers who were watching the then famous 'Sharjah Cup' cricket series on TV, hence the name Sharjah Shake :) And, I was initially of the opinion that this drink originated from Sharjah :)

You Will Need:
  • 1 large Banana
  • 1.5  - 2 cups Milk
  • 1 tsp Bournvita/Boost or another Hot Chocolate Malt
  • 4-5 Raw Cashewnuts or Almonds (I used Almonds)
  • 1 tsp Sugar - Optional

HOW TO:

Pour Milk in an ice tray & freeze into cubes. If you buy milk packets, you can dump the entire packet in the freezer.

In a Blender, Add chopped Banana, Almonds/Cashewnuts, Bournvita, Sugar & Milk cubes  & blend until frothy

Pour into a tall glass & Slurrp !!

DSC_0751

NOTE:

I don't add any sugar as there is enough sweetness from the Banana & Hot chocolate Malt

You can even use frozen Bananas

Using Frozen Milk is very important to get a nice creamy texture

You Might Also Like

1 comments